Friday, May 9, 2014

Classmate Update: Joanne Heine Neville



Walter and me in High School


 Like everyone else, I grew up in Massapequa Park, the second oldest of six children.  We lived on East Lake Avenue and my mom is still in the same house 60 years now.  Out of six siblings, only one moved away to Texas.  I am fortunate enough to have all my other siblings here on the island after all these years.  We love doing holidays and vacations together, now adding all the grandchildren.

Back in 1972, you graduated school, went to work or college and got married.  That’s what I did, leaving out the college part.  To people who really remember me, they would remember that my junior and senior years were spent with my boyfriend, Walter Neville, who graduated in 1971.  We were inseparable then, got married in 1974 and just celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary.  So we remained inseparable for 43 years.  And, we still even like each other!  We are very fortunate.  I included a picture of us because my high school insecurities tell me no one is going to know who I am anyway!

By 25 years of age, we had three children and a home in Holbrook where we still live today.  We have been blessed with a son, two daughters and nine grandchildren under the age of nine.  My two daughters and their seven kids live less than ten minutes from my home, so I see them all the time which is such a joy.  My son moved away to Georgia, where he and his wife are raising their two children, but we are able to travel to see them at least 4 times a year.

Life has been good to us.  I was a stay-at-home mom for 13 years and then went to work for a bank once the kids were in junior high.  I have worked my way up the ladder to a wonderful job . . . still in banking.

We are looking forward to retiring now.   I have been convinced, especially after this awful winter, that “snowbirding” is the way to go.   I am definitely looking forward to that!  Right now, our life is all about our 3 children and our 9 grandchildren and we are loving it!

I am looking forward to seeing everyone at the Look Who's Turning 60! birthday party next month!

This is my family.  Walter and I are in the middle and my  two daughters are the tall one on the right and the small one directly behind me, along with their spouses.  My son is front, left with his wife.
These are my nine grandchildren


This classmate update was written by Joanne Heine Neville


2 comments:

  1. Joanne, I just read your blog. It was so good to see you at the Reunion. I went looking for you at one point during the reunion so we could go sit somewhere and really catch up with each other but you were gone. :( You have a beautiful family and of course we remember you (I had the same concerns about going). It just goes to prove what a tight community Massapequa was and still is. Our friendships are forever and we all have memories to last a lifetime.

    Donna Iaccarino Fristachi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joanne,
    Nice family for sure! Robbie and I have reconnected with Christine through Facebook. Would love to hear from you.
    Howie

    ReplyDelete

Add your comments here